The Indiana State Fair has partnered with the Indiana Association of Fairs (INAF) and Feeding Indiana’s Hungry (FIsH) to implement a FAIRs Care County Food Drive. The goal of FAIRs Care is to raise awareness of local hunger needs and help feed Hoosiers impacted by hunger needs. FAIRs Care taps the passion and ingenuity of county fairs to ensure impact is felt statewide.
2018 Results Announced!
This year the FAIRs Care program raised 57,536 pounds of food for local food pantries! The top five counties that have made the most food contributions and will receive a check for $200 are:
- Cass County 4-H Fair – raised $34,051.30
- Tipton County 4-H Fair – raised $11,669.96
- Miami County 4-H Fair – raised $9,352.00
- Putnam County 4-H Fair – raised $8,205.00
- Wells County 4-H Fair – raised $5,038.3
To calculate these numbers, the Indiana State Fair multiplies the pounds of food collected by $1.67, which is the average cost of a pound of food. Then, any cash donations collected are added to that total.
- 1 in 6 Hoosier and more than 1 in 5 Hoosier children is at risk of hunger (22%)
- More than 1.1 million people, including more than 319,800 children, receive emergency food each year through the member food banks of Feeding Indiana’s Hungry.
- 33% of food bank clients are children under the age of 18
- 77% of food bank clients report having to choose between paying for food or paying their utilities/fuel bills.
- Every $1 raised provides multiple meals
- Develop and implement a food drive during your 2019 County Fair
- Engage a local food bank to help organize the food drive and to ensure donation are utilized locally
- Complete the FAIRs Care application on or before May 17, 2019. Approved county fairs will receive an allotment of Indiana State Fair tickets to help incentivize donations. Tickets are valued at $13 each.
- The only approved use of these tickets are in exchange for food or monetary donations to your food drive.
- Upon the successful completion of the food drive and submission of a final report by July 31, 2019, the participating county fairs will be entered to win $200 to be put toward a future hunger initiative