Our Work in the Community
Indiana State Fair FAIRS Care Food Drive
As a kick-off to our annual statewide County Fair FAIRS Care Food Drive, the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center had another successful Fairs Care Food Drive for Gleaners Food Bank in March. This year the Indiana Flower & Patio Show, Brickworld Indy and Indy Fuel all helped us collect 2,312 lbs of food (up from last year’s 1,428 lbs). In addition, staff participated in activities that helped raise $1,011.50 (up from $277 in 2018) in monetary donations. Plans are already underway for our 2020 efforts!
Community Engagement Impact Report
Click Here to view the 2018 Community Engagement Impact Report
Safe Night Halloween
For the 23rd consecutive year, dozens of community partners came together at the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center Elements Financial Blue Ribbon Pavilion during Safe Night Halloween Trunk or Treat from 5-7PM on October 31st. Offering kids and parents a free, safe place to spend Halloween, the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center’s Safe Night Halloween Trunk or Treat is open to all children ages 12 and under who are accompanied by an adult. The annual event began as a community service for fairgrounds-area neighborhood families and, thanks to generous sponsors and donors to the Indiana State Fair Foundation, it has provided a free, fun and safe Halloween to approximately 60,000 area children since 1996.
Our 2018 partners included:
• Indiana State Fair Foundation
• Old National Bank
• Urick Concessions
• Albanese Confectionery Group, Inc.
• Sam’s Club #8168
• Red Cheetah Moving Company
• Energy 93.9
• North American Midway Entertainment
• Indiana Corn Marketing Council
• Indiana Farm Bureau
• Indiana State Police
• Indiana National Guard
• Indianapolis Fire Department
• Indianapolis Metro Police Department
• Cheer Impact LLC
• Glendale Library
• The Columbia Club
• Indiana Lions Foundation
• Keystone Business and Community Association
• Trine University
FAIRs Care County Fair Food Drive
The Indiana State Fair has partnered with the Indiana Association of Fairs (INAF) and Feeding Indiana’s Hungry (FIsH) to implement a FAIRs Care County Food Drive. The goal of FAIRs Care is to raise awareness of local hunger needs and help feed Hoosiers impacted by hunger needs. FAIRs Care taps the passion and ingenuity of county fairs to ensure impact is felt statewide.
- Develop and implement a food drive during your 2019 County Fair
- Engage a local food bank to help organize the food drive and to ensure donation are utilized locally
- Complete the FAIRs Care application on or before May 17, 2019. Approved county fairs will receive an allotment of Indiana State Fair tickets to help incentivize donations
- Upon the successful completion of the food drive and submission of a final report by July 31, 2019, the participating county fairs will be entered to win $200 to be put toward a future hunger initiative
2018 Top 5 Participating Counties
1. Cass County 4-H Fair – raised $34,051.30
2. Tipton County 4-H Fair – raised $11,669.96
3. Miami County 4-H Fair – raised $9.352.00
4. Putnam County 4-H Fair- raised $8.205.00
5. Wells County 4-H Fair – raised $5,038.3
2018 FAIRs Care Participants
Indiana State Fair FAIRS Care Drive-Thru Food Drive
In honor of National Ag Day on March 20, the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center and its FAIRS Care program hosted its first ever drive-thru food drive to provide much needed food relief for the community’s food pantry source, Gleaners Food Bank. The “FAIRS Care Drive-Thru Food Drive,” was held on Tuesday, March 20 from 6:30 – 9:30AM and 3-6PM at the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center. Donors who brought canned and dry goods or monetary donations to the Fairgrounds received one complimentary ticket to the 2018 Indiana State Fair to be held Aug 3-19.
In addition to the “FAIRS Care Drive-Thru Food Drive” two other events partnered with the Indiana State Fairgrounds & Event Center to provide hunger relief.
- On Monday, March 12, Indiana Flower & Patio Show attendees bringing a food donation received $4 off admission to the event that day.
- On Saturday, March 17 (St. Patrick’s Day), individuals who brought GREEN canned or dry goods to the 7:35PM Indy Fuel v. Toledo Walleyes “St. Patrick’s Day” game at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum received an Indy Fuel promotional koozie.
With these three drives, Gleaners Food Bank received 1428 pounds of food equaling 1200 meals, and $277 in monetary donations equaling $2,493 in spending power.