The Indiana State Fair has partnered with the Indiana Association of Fairs (INAF) and Feeding Indiana’s Hungry (FIsH) to implement a Farmers Care County Food Drive. The goal of Farmers Care is to raise awareness of local hunger needs and help feed Hoosiers impacted by hunger needs. FAIRs Care taps the passion and ingenuity of county fairs to ensure impact is felt statewide.
- 1 in 6 Hoosier and more than 1 in 5 Hoosier children is at risk of hunger (22%)
- More than 1.1 million people, including more than 319,800 children, receive emergency food each year through the member food banks of Feeding Indiana’s Hungry.
- 33% of food bank clients are children under the age of 18
- 77% of food bank clients report having to choose between paying for food or paying their utilities/fuel bills.
- Every $1 raised provides multiple meals.
36 Counties Participating in 2016
- Develop and implement a food drive during your 2016 County Fair
- Engage a local food bank to help organize the food drive and to ensure donation are utilized locally
- Complete the Farmers Care application on or before May 15, 2016. Approved county fairs will receive an allotment of Indiana State Fair tickets to help incentivize donations
- Upon the successful completion of the food drive and submission of a final report by July 31, 2016 the participating county fairs will be entered to win $200 to be put toward a future hunger initiative